Why do they ask so many questions when I call the police?

Receiving dispatchers are trained to try to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the dispatcher has already sent the information to the officer while asking additional questions.

Why did it take so long for the police to come when I called them?

All requests for police services are assigned a priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

Can I make an anonymous report?

Yes, you can report crimes anonymously. However, recent case law limits the actions that officers can take when responding to an anonymous report.

If you do not wish to have your name broadcast on the police radio frequency, please inform the dispatcher taking your call.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

Crash (Accident) Reports

Crash reports can be obtained 24 hours per day online at www.getcrashreports.com for a fee of $15.00. In addition, they can be obtained at the Brewer Police Department during regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday for a fee of $10.00.  Please note that accident reports may take up to three days to be completed and approved for release by a supervisor.  All crash reports are uploaded to www.getcrashreports.com within 2 hours of supervisor approval.

Narrative Reports

Requests for written narrative reports can be made at the Brewer Police Department during our regular business hours.  When a request is made, the report will have to be reviewed by a supervisor to determine if the report is appropriate for release.  In most cases, information will be redacted from the report prior to release.  Generally, fees are $2.00 for the first page and $1.00 per page thereafter.

Where do I go to pay my parking ticket or traffic citation?

Parking tickets and civil ordinance violations can be paid by mail or in person at the police department.

If you received a traffic citation (i.e. for speeding or failing to stop for a red light), the fine must be sent within twenty (20) days to the Violations Bureau. You may also request a trial using this method. The instructions are located on your ticket and envelope.

I was just involved in traffic accident. Should I call to report it?

Maine law REQUIRES that you call to report an accident immediately if anyone is injured (even minor injuries) and/or if the combined vehicle damage appears to be over $1000. Additionally, State law requires that you notify the owner of damaged property other than a motor vehicle (i.e. a mailbox) that was damaged by you.

Minor damage accidents (such as a scratch to a bumper) are not REQUIRED to be reported to the police if both parties are in agreement not to report it. You may elect to exchange telephone numbers, driver’s license and insurance information with the other involved party. Please note that, in most cases, damage estimates can quickly climb to over $1000.

Frequently, an involved party to a traffic accident calls several days after the incident has occurred to request a police report be completed. Officers can not complete a traffic accident report unless he or she views both damaged vehicles at the accident scene. If you file a “late report” accident, this means that you must contact the other involved party and make arrangements to meet a police officer at the scene.

If you are UNSURE about whether or not to report an accident, you should call the Brewer Police Department so an officer can assess the damage while both involved vehicles are still at the scene.

Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a police officer have to come to my house?

Some reports can be taken over the telephone. However, due to the nature of some incidents, a personal visit is required.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if they were in a traffic accident?

The police department dispatch center does not have the names of persons involved in accidents available. If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call themselves, we will notify their family.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Call the Brewer Police Department at 207.989.7000 and request that this area be placed on directed enforcement.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

The police department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The dispatcher who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. Please make note of as many details as you can (i.e. license plate numbers, vehicle and clothing descriptions).

Brewer officers would much rather respond to many “false alarms” than have one crime go unreported.

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

Because of the potential for damage to vehicles the police department does not open locked vehicles unless the vehicle is running or there is a child in the vehicle. In all other instances, a locksmith is your best alternative.

What do you have to do to become a police officer? How do you get accepted into the police academy?

Contact the Maine Criminal Justice Academy for information on becoming a police officer and entrance into the police academy. The academy is located at 15 Oak Grove Road in Vassalboro, ME. Their phone number is 207.877.8000.

Does the police department do fingerprinting and when can I have my fingerprints done?

Yes, fingerprinting is done Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. There is a $10.00 fee for non-residents and a $5.00 fee for residents.  You must bring your fingerprint card with you, have it filled out in black ink, and have a valid picture ID.

If you are a Brewer Housing Authority applicant having fingerprints taken for a background check, please make an advance appointment with one of the Housing Liaison Officers.

Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police tow it away for me?

The police department can only have vehicles towed that are on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area and the vehicle will be towed away at no cost to you. The wrecker service will notify the owners once they have determined ownership.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?

The Brewer Police Department does not have a jail. You would need to contact the Penobscot County jail directly at 207.947.4585.

The impact of drug legalization in Oregon- A Law Enforcement Perspective.

For more information on this matter please click here.