City Hall - Brewer, Maine

Register to Vote

You can register to vote either at the City Clerk’s Office Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. or at the polls on election day.

Please bring proof of your Brewer residency with you. Items such as your Maine Driver’s License with your Brewer address listed or a Maine Driver’s License and a utility bill indicating your Brewer residency.

This function of the City Clerk’s Department falls under the jurisdiction and rules of the Secretary of State and the laws of the State of Maine for state and local elections. The regular annual city election is held on the first Tuesday in November. All voting takes place at the Brewer Auditorium.

Effective January 1, 2004, the City’s 5 wards were reduced to a single ward with two precincts. Ward 1 Precinct 1 encompasses all of Brewer within State Legislative District 128, while Ward 1 Precinct 2 contains State Legislative District 129.

New Voter Registration

If you are registering in the City of Brewer for the first time, please make sure everything is filled out on your voter registration card. In order to register, you must provide identification and proof of residency. Acceptable forms of identification include a drivers license, state ID card, passport, passport card, and military ID. For proof of residency, acceptable forms include a rent receipt, utility bill or piece of mail with your name on it. A piece of mail marked “Resident” is not acceptable.

Absentee Ballots

Absentee ballots may be requested beginning 3 months before Election Day, and up until the 3rd business day prior to the election. Make your request early to allow enough time for the ballot to be mailed to you.

  • By email, via the State of Maine’s absentee ballot request.
  • Complete the form by clicking here.
  • By phone, by the voter themselves, at 207.989.7050.
  • In person, at the City Clerk’s office located at City Hall, 80 North Main Street.

Party Enrollments (Primary Elections Only)

If you are enrolled in a party before a primary election (Republican, Democrat or Green Independent), you cannot change parties right before the primary.

If you are listed as “unenrolled” on the voting list, you may enroll in a party for a primary election. You have to stay in that party for at least 3 months. If you do not wish to enroll, you can still vote on the local issues, such as bond issues, or school budget questions.