The State of Maine Department of Environmental Protection (MEDEP) requires that all Maine municipalities collect and recycle Universal Waste.
What is included in Universal Waste? Anything that may contain hazardous amounts of toxic materials (i.e. mercury, lead, PCBs). This includes:
- Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs) such as TVs, monitors, etc.
- Computers and most other electronic equipment.
- Fluorescent light bulbs.
- Mercury-containing thermostats and thermometers.
- Non-leaking PCB lighting ballasts.
- Batteries containing Lithium (Li), Mercuric Oxide (HgO), Nickel Cadmium (NiCd), Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), and Silver Oxide (AgO).
2023 Program Information
The Universal Waste collection is located at our Waste Water Treatment Plant (37 Oak Street). Call 989-5417 for any questions you may have.
You can view the official 2023 schedule by clicking here.
During the hours of operation, residents are asked to adhere to the following procedure:
- Please form an orderly vehicle line.
- Remain in your vehicle until asked by the attendant to exit.
- When exiting your vehicle, please ensure you are wearing a mask.
- To maintain social distancing, all items for disposal will be placed on the provided table. (Assistance may be provided if necessary.)
- For regulatory purposes, you will be asked to sign your name and address on the provided clipboard.
PLEASE NOTE: The Universal Waste Program is a service only available to Brewer residents. If you are not a Brewer resident, please refer to your municipality’s respective webpage for information on how you may dispose of your Universal Waste.