Getting a Brewer Public Library card is free to all Brewer residents, Brewer business/property owners, Brewer school students, City of Brewer municipal and school employees, and senior citizens that live within 25 miles of Brewer.
To get a library card:
- Visit the circulation desk.
- Bring a photo ID with current address OR a photo ID along with official proof of current address (USPS change of address mail, state/federal mail, rent/lease agreement, car registration, temporary license, etc.)
- Ask to sign up for a Library card!
All those wishing to sign up for a Library card must be present to sign up (ie. parents must bring their child in order to sign the child up for a Library card). Minors under the age of fourteen must have a parent or legal guardian present to sign up for a Library card, or must return a guardian permission slip to the circulation desk in order to maintain their Library card.
If individuals do not qualify for a free card but would like to use the Library to check out materials, a nonresident Library card is available for the minimal fee of $25.00 per family per year (nonrefundable). To apply for a nonresident Library card, follow the steps listed above, plus bring in the $25.00 annual fee in cash or check.
All new patrons will be limited to three items checked out at any given time. After a three-month period with a clean record, the three-item limit on the card will be removed. InterLibrary Loans cannot be processed for new patrons during these first three months.
Patrons must present Library cards at the circulation desk to borrow materials.
- Print and audiobooks may be checked out for three weeks.
- DVD’s and magazines may be checked out for one week.
- Most items can be renewed once, provided there are no holds on the items.
- There is a fifty-item limit on the items a patron may borrow at one time.
- There is a six-item limit on audio-visual materials per household.
- There is a three-item limit on new items per patron.
- Overdue fees are $.10 per day per book, audiobook or magazine; and $.50 per day per DVD or music CD.
- If a patron renews an item which is already overdue, a late fine may still be assessed to the account. If any account accumulates $10.00 in fines and fees, or items are overdue, the Library account will be frozen until the account is brought back to current.
Full Library policies are available for review at the circulation desk.
Patrons are welcome to renew their items as long as no other patron has requested them. Items may be renewed in a number of ways.
- In person, at the circulation desk.
- Online, through the catalog. Detailed instructions are available here.
- By phone– call 207.989.7943 to speak to circulation staff during Library hours OR leave a voicemail while the Library is closed.
From the online catalog, patrons may also access Library records to place holds and view their personal Library history. Ask library staff to show you how!
The Brewer Public Library has two lending passes available to patrons with a Library card in good standing. The Maine Discovery Museum family pass is available for one day (admits groups of up to four individuals); the State Park Vehicle Pass is available for checkout of up to three days (admits up to a 17-passenger vehicle to many state parks). See staff for details on borrowing these passes.
If the Brewer Public Library does not have a specific item needed, an InterLibrary Loan may be possible. Let staff know the item information, and it will be requested from another Library. (This service is not available to new patrons until a three-month period with a clean record is completed.) Library staff will notify patrons when ILL items are available. InterLibrary Loan items are not eligible for renewal.
Read ~ Connect ~ Discover