The City of Brewer operates and maintains a public sewer system containing forty-six (46) miles of collector and interceptor sewers, 15 pump stations and 1,200 sewer manholes. Approximately 90% of the City’s 9,400 residents are served by the sewer system. Flows are conveyed to the City’s Water Pollution Control Facility on Oak Street. The remaining 10% of residents discharge their sanitary wastewater to a private septic system.
The sewer collection system is operated and maintained by three City employees that work for the Environmental Services Department, one (1) Collection Systems Supervisor and two (2) Environmental Technicians, all three highly skilled and dedicated operators. The operators are responsible for, but not limited to: sewer line cleaning, degreasing sewers, de-rooting sewers, sewer inspections with video inspection equipment, performing dig safes for contractors, inspecting sewer connections for contractors, monitoring the City’s Combined Sewer Overflows (CSO), monitoring sewer system flows during heavy rain events, and maintaining all records for weekly, monthly and end of year reporting to the City administration and Maine Department of Environmental Protection.
Stormwater Collection System
The City of Brewer operates and maintains a public stormwater collection system containing sixty-five (65) miles of collector pipe, 1,400 catch basins, over seventy (70) discharge locations and several miles of drainage ditches. Approximately 90% of the stormwater that enters the City stormwater collection system flows directly to the Penobscot River with little or no treatment. For information on the City’s Stormwater Management Program and its efforts to decrease pollutants from entering the stormwater, click here.
The stormwater collection system is operated and maintained by operators from the Environmental Services and Public Works Departments. The operators are responsible for and not limited to: annual street sweeping, catch basin cleaning, catch basin inspections and maintenance, stormwater discharge location inspections, stormwater drainage ditch inspection and maintenance, detention pond inspections and maintenance, collection system pipe repair, culvert replacement and maintaining all records for weekly, monthly and end of year reporting to the City’s administration and to Maine Department of Environmental Protection.
The City of Brewer is an equal opportunity employer and service provider.