City Hall - Brewer, Maine


NOMINATION PETITIONS for the November 8, 2016 City of Brewer Annual Municipal Election are now available at the City Clerk’s Office, 80 No. Main Street for the following:

Two Members of the City Council for three year terms;
One Member of the Superintending School Committee for a three year term;
One Member of the Superintending School Committee for a one year term to fill a vacancy; and
One Trustee of the Brewer High School District for a five year term.

Any Brewer registered voter interested in running for any of these offices must file nomination petitions with the City Clerk by 4:00 p.m., Friday, September 23, 2016. Nomination petitions are available at the City Clerk’s office where additional information on running for local office may also be obtained.

Pamela J. Ryan
Brewer City Clerk

Register to Vote

You can register to vote either at the City Clerk’s Office Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. or at the polls on election day.

Please bring proof of your Brewer residency with you. Items such as your Maine Driver’s License with your Brewer address listed or a Maine Driver’s License and a utility bill indicating your Brewer residency.

This function of the City Clerk’s Department falls under the jurisdiction and rules of the Secretary of State and the laws of the State of Maine for state and local elections. The regular annual city election is held on the first Tuesday in November. All voting takes place at the Brewer Auditorium.

Effective January 1, 2004, the City’s 5 wards were reduced to a single ward with two precincts. Ward 1 Precinct encompasses all of Brewer within State Legislative District 128, while Ward 1 Precinct 2 contains State Legislative District 129.

New Voter Registration

If you are registering in the City of Brewer for the first time, please make sure everything is filled out on your voter registration card. In order to register, you must provide identification and proof of residency. Acceptable forms of identification include a drivers license, state ID card, passport, passport card, and military ID. For proof of residency, acceptable forms include a rent receipt, utility bill or piece of mail with your name on it. A piece of mail marked “Resident” is not acceptable.

Absentee Ballots

To obtain an absentee ballot for future elections, you can make the request no later than the Thursday prior to the Election:

  • By email, via the State of Maine’s absentee ballot request.
  • By phone, by the voter themselves, at 207.989.7050.
  • By mail, by the voter or an immediate family member, at 80 North Main Street, Brewer, ME 04412.
  • In person, at the City Clerk’s office located at City Hall, 80 North Main Street.

Party Enrollments (Primary Elections Only)

If you are enrolled in a party before a primary election (Republican, Democrat or Green Independent), you cannot change parties right before the primary.

If you are listed as “unenrolled” on the voting list, you may enroll in a party for a primary election. You have to stay in that party for at least 3 months. If you do not wish to enroll, you can still vote on the local issues, such as bond issues, or school budget questions.